Monday, February 20, 2017

Messy Monday: Paintbrush Experiment


Beatrix was so interested in the paint last week that I decided we should play with paint again, this time trying out some different materials for applying the paint to the paper.

I bent a pipe cleaner into a triangle stamp, pinched a pom with a clothespin, grabbed a feather, a Q-tip, and a foam brush, and some paper. I like using cardstock, because it holds up under the paint better.

I poured some finger paint on to a paper plate for our palette. (pro-tip: use just a few colors that will look okay mixed together to avoid the muddy color look.) I got a damp cloth ready for cleaning up at the end and I zipped Bea into her jammies-turned-paint-smock.


Beatrix really seemed to enjoy using the pom the best, and she also liked the triangle stamp. I painted along with Bea and found the feather was really interesting to paint with. 

You don't need fancy supplies to explore art, just see what is hiding around your house and at the bottom of your craft/junk drawer. Older children may enjoy doing the gathering of items themselves. For the younger ones, keep it to just a few options and offer them one at a time, as to not overwhelm them. Remember, this type of art is more about the process than the end result. I keep all of these paintings of Bea's for future use as gifts/cards.

What other household items would be fun to paint with? 

No comments:

Post a Comment