Thursday, October 6, 2016

"Gone Batty" Lampshade Tutorial

Something I really enjoy doing is decorating for various holidays - especially DIY decor. I hope it is something Beatrix will enjoy doing with me when she is just a little older!

I have to admit, I tend to break out the fall decorations as soon as Labor Day is over (and it is hard to wait that long!) Somewhere in the middle of October I like to start adding in some Halloween flair.

Here is a fun, and quick 10 minute spooktacular DIY for Halloween!



All you need is:

  • Black construction paper
  • Chalk
  • Scissors
  • Tape
Step #1: Draw some bat shapes. I just drew a bat shape freehand on paper, but you could also trace around a bat-shaped cookie cutter or print and trace this bat shape or something similar. I used chalk because it is easy to see on the black paper. 














Step #2: Cut out your bats!


















Step #3: Put a small piece of tape in the center of each bat. I just looped regular tape, double-stick would work great here as well.

















Step #4: Attach to the inside of your lampshade. 




















Here they are, all attached!
      







      
Step #5: Turn on the light and enjoy! 
This would be a really fun craft to do with preschoolers to work on scissor skills. You could do as many or as few bats as you like. You could also vary the sizes! I might make a few smaller ones to add around the sides.            

If you do this, be sure to share a picture with me - I would love to see what you made!

1 comment: